Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Walls - Bedroom and Bathroom

Today, I ended up focusing a bit on walls. Specifically, I got tired of seeing those ugly, dingy white walls in my bedroom, and decided to take a step towards doing something about it. I took a paint color card from Lowe's to Home Depot today (because Lowe's had one person working the paint desk and 7 people in line waiting), got them to color match the Historic La Fonda Copper I wanted to try for the walls and the Tomato Bisque I wanted to try for the trim. The results aren't bad, although my friend hated the trim color (he liked the copper, however). I'm trying to decide if I want to go ahead and paint the room those colors, or if I want to try other samples. I initially didn't have these pumpkin-esque colors in mind at all when I arrived at Lowe's today, but I spotted them on a card, considered the implications, and decided it can't hurt to give it a try. I've been given subtle suggestions that white would be a good trim for the copper, or perhaps a beige or khaki shade. Not sure yet, but I'd love to get the bedroom painted before I move in next week!
One thing that took quite a while today - the better part of an hour or more, actually - was removing the curtain rods from the bedroom windows. They were screwed in place with VERY long screws! The bedroom walls are built like some of the bathroom walls - clapboard make up the walls, and then paneling was added over that. You can see in the picture above the small rectangle showing the original paneling, before it was painted over. That rectangle came from the mounted wall lamps that once shown light on either side of the previous owners' bed. I hated them and took them down today as well.

I'm so ready to get the tile, vanity, and toilet in place in the bathroom as well! Still need to drill the hole for the shower drain, but things are getting closer. Hopefully Maverick (the cat that adopted me) will lose his passion for sleeping in the sink once it's installed:
The bottom of the vanity is very pretty, and matches the ceiling:
It's going to look awesome when it's installed, and when the cabinet I'm planning to build or buy (I've swung around to thinking building it would be better) is put in place next to it. I think my bathroom's going to be my favorite place to be!

Today, my friend helped me hang some of the walls as well. I'm using luaun for the walls, which are pretty in and of themselves, but which I plan to paint when they're up and I've chosen a color scheme for them.
Getting the luaun around the bath/shower unit wasn't easy. Especially since, as everyone knows by now, this house, like most old houses, is NOT square in the least. That wasn't nearly as much fun, however, using the jig saw to cut out around the plumbing for the vanity!
That square hole will be covered with a small sheet of luaun, then of course the vanity itself will hide both the hole and the cover, so it won't be obvious at all that anything was there. And that's another long, but exciting, day of renovating!

No comments:

Post a Comment