Sunday, September 19, 2010

The door and me

For several weeks, I've been eyeing a beautiful antique door at Yesteryear Antiques and More, run by Gina (funny, I have several items with her on consignment and I don't even know her last name!), which I've been wanting to use as my front door. My friend has insisted that I shouldn't use it for an outside door, as it's mostly glass and thus isn't very secure. So, when we removed the door and jamb from my room to fit the tub/shower unit through it to put in the bathroom, I figured since the door jamb was already down, this might be a good place to use the door (the door is wider than the door that was already in place, but since I have to rebuild the jamb anyway, and the space is wide enough, why not?). Now, some might question the concept of using a mostly-glass door for a bedroom, but why not? It's mostly frosted glass, and it's not like anyone's going to be spying on me through that door. :)

The picture above is the door as it looked in the antique shop. Dingy, dirty, and desperately in need of some TLC, I saw the potential in it, even when others did not. I finally got the door Friday (it cost me $50 - double what my sister thought I should spend on it, but half of what my friend figured it would cost), brought it home, did some emergency nailing to the trim work to make sure the glass panes stayed in their frames, and then cleaned the glass. I've yet to strip the paint from it, but here's how it looks after my minimal TLC:
See how nicely it cleaned up? The next picture is a closeup of  the upper middle pane:
And then two views of one of the upper end panes:
And then a closeup of the three middle panes:
This door is going to be gorgeous when I finish with it! I need to strip the paint from the flaky side, and either strip it from the other side as well, or just paint over it. I'm thinking a red mahogany would make this door come alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment