Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bathroom and Bedroom Continued

Ok, when last I posted, I had said I was going to paint the bedroom on Friday. Well...I didn't. Instead I ended up priming the ceiling, and then got some boxes to start packing, since I have to be moved into the house by Thursday of this coming week. Saturday, I spent the day getting some stuff moved over (but still have quite a bit that needs to go). However, today (Sunday) - some really good stuff happened!

But to back up a bit, not only did I pack on Friday evening, I also went to an auction. I have a booth at Marketplace Antiques here in Hattiesburg (which I've not visited since Sept. 4 of this month due to the renovations), and the owner of Marketplace has recently begun having auctions every other Friday evening. So, of course I went to that auction this past Friday night. There has been a sofa sitting in the building that I've liked a lot each time I've seen it, but I hadn't gotten around to asking about it. Well, this past week, a matching chair was added to the set. I really liked the set, so when the point of the auction came along where people point out or bring up stuff they want to bid on, I asked the owner what the minimum he would take for the set would be. He said $150, which wasn't a bad price, but I wasn't sure I really wanted to pay that much. I thought it over, then asked if he'd take $130 (now this is as an opening bid on the set, not necessarily the "final price"). He told me I drove a hard bargain, but that yes, he'd take that. So, when the auction resumed and he got to that item, my opening bid was accepted and no one bid against me - so I got it for $130. It wasn't until I took the chair home that night that I discovered one of the back legs on the chair was broken, but it should be easy to fix once I get the time.

 The picture below is a closeup of the ball and claw feet the set has.
So Saturday, I gathered a group of some strong friends to help me move most of the larger, heavier pieces of furniture to the house.

Then along came today, the day my friend and I had set to lay the tile in the bathroom. I'd bought the tile on Wednesday:
It's a beautiful marble design on ceramic tile (I thought porcelain at first, but I think the box actually says ceramic). So today, we mixed the thin-set, got ready to tile - and then my friend told me it was really a one-person operation, so I should go find something else to do lol. I kind of wanted the experience of laying the tile, but I also could understand the fact the bathroom is small, and there really wasn't a lot for 2 people to do. So, while he laid the tile, I went into the bedroom and started painting the ceiling. It took a while, since I frequently had to stop to go get something he needed, or at one point had to drive to Marvin's to pick up a new paint roller (the cheap one I had gotten broke) and to get a new mixer for the thin-set (the one I had was too large for the electric drill my friend had, and his cordless one's batteries are evidently not working right). The first batch we made up was stirred by hand. I do not recommend mixing thin-set by hand. It will put your arm out of commission!

So, while he's laying tile:
I'm busy painting my ceiling, and doing a darn good job on it, I thought:
So it actually worked out rather well. The tile got laid:
And the bedroom slowly got painted. By the time I had completed the ceiling and one wall:

He had finished the tile job:

And he did a beautiful job of it! All that's left now is the grout, then the sealer, and then to drill the hole to move the tub drain, put in the toilet and connect the plumbing, and the bathroom is all set!

No comments:

Post a Comment