Monday, September 20, 2010

Plumbed!

And another step towards bathroom completion has been taken! It took, literally, ALL DAY yesterday, but we got the holes drilled, the plumbing under the house attached and poking up through the holes into the bathroom! Only thing not done was the drain for the bathtub, but that won't take too long. Worst thing about that will be moving the drain pipe (the tub was a left-handed drain but the faucet and shower were on the right-hand side - so I replaced the tub with a right-handed one so the drain and faucet will be on the same side of the tub). Not only did the plumbing get done, but the exhaust vent is in the ceiling and...there actually IS a ceiling!
This is the ceiling in the little bathroom hallway.
These are views of the main bathroom ceiling, including a view of the exhaust fan. It's wired, but not connected, as yet, and we're trying to decide if it's going to be wired with the light (and come on every time the light does), or if it's going to be on a seperate switch. The light in the image is the light that originally came with the bathroom, but is not the light that's going to remain. I'm thinking track lighting, something that will follow the length of the ceiling so at least one light will be aimed at the currently-dark hallway.
Here, the cat that adopted me, Maverick, is checking out the plumbing coming up through the wall for the vanity. The original vanity sat at a 90 degree angle to this wall, but my friend and I think having it along this wall will help with the tight quarters in the bathroom (which the main part of the room is only 5' x 8', and then a 48" x 32" hallway).
This would be the pipe for the water coming into the toilet. The toilet drain is just below the bottom edge of this picture. It's smelly, so I keep it plugged up with an old shirt from my former job. It fits in many ways. :)
These are the hot and cold water pipes for the bathtub/shower. The grey one is the cold water, and the white is the hot (I didn't think to label those in the picture for the vanity pipes).
Just another view of the ceiling, this part over the tub/shower unit, also showing the hot water pipe reaching into my bedroom ceiling. I'll be so glad when the bathroom is finished, I have to be out of my apartment and into this house in 10 days!

I also ripped out the carpet in my bedroom today. The hardwood under the pad doesn't look bad at all, except near the bathroom wall where we had to replace several of the rotted boards. There seems to be a bit of weakness in the floorboards in the corner of my room near where the rotten boards lie in the kitchen, but all in all, not bad.
The above pic is a view of my bedroom floor, after the carpet and padding were removed. The floor was painted brown at some point, but doesn't look too bad.
The upper right corner is next to the rotted kitchen boards. There's a little bit of weakness there (a couple of the boards sag and creak when stepped on), but all in all, I think it's safe as is. The area under my tool box (and just behind it, outside the bottom of the picture) spoils the possibility of leaving bare floors. There's also the fact the bare floors would probably be very cold to my bare feet on cold winter mornings when I get out of bed, so I will probably put my biases against carpets aside and go ahead and carpet this room after all.
Maverick decided he was quite pleased with the bare floor concept and stretched out to show his appreciation. He tends to make it difficult, if not almost impossible, to get a lot done around the house, but he certainly makes the time pass more pleasantly!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad The Cat now has a NAME!!!!!!!!!! Loving how the bath is coming together.

    ReplyDelete