Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Some Bathroom Success!

Today saw several successes in the bathroom. Oh, get your mind out of the gutter. I'm talking about getting some accomplishments done in there! For instance, after purchasing another tub drain (this one made from brass rather than pvc), we managed (with a few hours work) to get the tub to hold water without leaking. Yay! It's an amazing feeling to finally see no drops of water dripping onto the floor under the tub when the stopper (or "bucket", as the stopper on the end of the assembly that hangs from the overflow, is called) is engaged and water backs up in the tub. I never thought the lack of dripping water could make me so happy!

In addition, we got the hot water hooked up in the vanity sink. Yet another little step to completing this room! So hot and cold running water in the sink, hot and cold running water in the tub, with the drains in both working just fine, and the toilet also working like a champ...only little problem is that the cold water (I'd thought it was the hot) still leaks in the tub faucet. But that's a minor nuisance that can probably be fixed with a simple stem washer.

The third, and equally as big, achievement today was getting my shower doors installed! I love these doors and have been wanting them up since we installed the tub unit, and I even started to attempt it by myself a few days ago. Until I opened and read the instructions. Oy vey! Installing shower doors is ANYthing but a simple thing! I'd no idea how complex it all is! No wonder so many people just make due with a shower curtain! But simple perseverence, a hacksaw and tin snips, and a great deal of patience saw us through it and got those doors installed. And I must say, they look amazing! I'm really, really glad I returned those others to Marvin's and got these from Lowe's. It's hard to say what I love most about my bathroom: the beadboard ceiling, the beadboard vanity, the tiling, or these doors! Shots below:

 The pic above shows in more detail the engraved leaves on the glass.
I can't wait to take a shower in it tonight! It'll be awesome not having to spread towels along the floor to keep it dry while I shower in an open area!

I made an accomplishment yesterday as well, but it sort of got overshadowed by the bathroom accomplishments of today. I finished putting the first coat of paint on my bedroom walls. This morning, I even laid out the paneling that will go on the wall (once it's put up) between the bathroom and my room on the floor and painted it so it would match the rest of the walls.

In the first picture above, you can see the paneling laid out on the floor with a coat of paint. It'll go in the opening you see in the second picture, once a) we are certain, without a doubt, that the tub drain has ceased and desisted leaking, and b) the studs are put back up. I think this wall is going to remain one that can be easily removed, just in case it's necessary to get at the plumbing in it.

The other thing I managed to finish yesterday was to paint the ceiling fan blades. I painted them the same color the trim is going to be (a shade of khaki called Peanut Butter), and I think they look good. I dismantled them so the metal part would remain white without my having to put masking tape over it.

The images above probably aren't quite "true" due to the fact it was at night, the ceiling light was on, and I used flash. But it's close enough. :)

Tomorrow, I plan to add the final coat to the walls (assuming I don't run out of paint - if I do, I'll follow my sister's suggestion of getting a gallon of the cheaper paint-only rather than the paint-and-primer the first gallon was). Once the final wall paint is applied, then I just need to replace the missing trimwork, then paint all the trim, and then I can see about purchasing and having installed a carpet for the room. It's hard to believe the bedroom is going to be that simple lol. Of course, it probably isn't! I'm going to have to inspect those floorboards very closely to make sure none are rotten and need replacing before I even think of putting down a carpet!

1 comment:

  1. Looking GOOD George. I can't wait to see it in person. I love that you painted the ceiling fan blades, it's the little details that make a house a home!

    ReplyDelete