Sunday, October 10, 2010

Grouting and Bedroom Paint

Well, this weekend didn't see me quite as busy working on the house as I should have been. Thursday and Friday, I finished painting the bedroom walls the copper (some say burnt orange lol) shade, including the panel that will cover the missing wall section between my bedroom and the bathroom. Friday, I spent some time with family and also stopped at Yesteryear Antiques and More to check on some items I have consigned there. While chatting with the proprietor, Gina, I was reminded of an auction that night, so I didn't get much more done that day. I did, however, pick up a nice picture and a wicker shelf for the house at the auction:


Saturday, I spent taping up the trimwork in my bedroom, then went off to my normal Saturday auction (although this one started at 2:00pm rather than the normal 6:00pm) with my friend. I probably should have stayed home and worked on the house lol. I ended up buying a beautiful old carnival glass shoe as well as a pink glass tray; a pink glass ashtray (although I'm supposed to be cutting down on this; I have around 300 ashtrays, and I'm trying to whittle my collection down to 40 or 50); an antique picture; and a vintage sewing basket (which I'll either use as a magazine rack or will just put in my flea market booth out at Marketplace Antiques):


Sunday, however saw some progress on the house! The bathroom tile got grouted (yay!) and I painted the windows in my bedroom with the trim color (Peanut Butter). Both look great! I was chased out of the bathroom again for the grouting (haha, someday I'll do the tiling and grouting myself! Like for the kitchen if I go with tile in there hehe), so I did the painting while he grouted. I'm very pleased with the results!



We came really close to going ahead and framing back in the missing wall, but a little brainstorm hit with interesting results. We got to thinking, wouldn't it be nice to keep the natural light that currently filters into the bathroom through the missing wall from my bedroom windows? And the idea formed of perhaps putting a window, up at the ceiling, in that missing wall so the natural light could reach the bathroom (which has no windows of its own, of course, not having a single outside wall). Then a discussion ensued as to what type of window, how big it should be, etc. It was decided the window would have to be very high (as I stated, up near the ceiling) to ensure privacy for anyone using the bathroom; it would also have to be a certain size so it would fit above the shower stall. There's also the problem that the shower pipe and head are going to be visible through the window from my bedroom side (but I'm thinking up possible ways to disguise it in an attractive way). So, then the discussion of whether to use an antique window, a sheet of new glass, stained glass, etc., got underway. I have several old windows that my sister gave me in the flea market booth (about half of them have sold, but there are still quite a few left), so we took a trip over to Marketplace late this afternoon to assess them and decided none of them would be suitable. A search through the building came up with a possible candidate; I measured the window, then later this evening measured the opening, and the candidate should fit just fine. So now it's just a matter of going ahead and getting the window, then building the wall with a framework to hold the window in place.

Between the idea for the window and going to actually look at some, we also tackled the problem of clutter and debris in the yard and on my front porch. About an hour's work saw the clutter mostly put away in the storage building (after some suitable space was cleared up with some creative rearranging), and the debris mostly put away in a big box or stashed along the back of the house until later this week for a trip to the dump out on Gravel Pit Road. The small house on Martha Ave is slowly, but surely, becoming a home!

No comments:

Post a Comment