Thursday, January 13, 2011

Green With...Valspar

Well, I've finally gotten around to painting my kitchen. I narrowed down my paint options to a shade of khaki green called Grandma's Linen, and decided to go with Valspar from Lowes, since that's the company that makes the shade I wanted (instead of going through the whole color-matching thing like I've done with all the other shades). And I have to say, I like Valspar paint. It's thicker than Behr, and seems to provide better coverage. Granted, I did end up getting the variety with primer in it, simply because they were running a sale and that type was only $2 more than the type without primer (normally $7 more). Anyway, when we got to Lowes, while waiting for the paint guy to be free, I perused the other paint cards and found a shade called Green Tea Leaves which just happened to be almost exactly the same shade as Grandma's Linen - but lighter. So, that's what I ended up going with lol. I'm very happy with it too! At first, I wasn't sure if it was really going to go well with the Dust Bunny, which I had decided was going to be my cabinet and trim color, but I'm thinking now that it's going to go very well indeed. Ok, enough chat, here are the pics!



You'll notice the rectangle of white in the third picture on the overhang; that's where I'd put a hole in the sheetrock when removing that horribly-ugly sunflower border. I'm going to fix the hole soon, but don't have the materials to fix it just yet. Close up of that here:

And you'll notice in fourth picture that the counter has tile on it; here's a closer view of that:
Those are temporary only. I was just testing it out to see how I would like the same tiles that are on my bathroom floor to be on the kitchen counter. As you can see, they're too big to go on as-is, so if I go with them, they'll have to be cut. My friend suggested turning them so they'd have a diamond pattern, which might be doable, but I'm leaning heavily towards using black tile. Sometime this week I may go get some black spray paint and paint the formica top of the counter to see if I would like black or not. I'm really thinking the black tile on the counter and on the backsplash would give a very dramatic look in contrast with the Green Tea Leaves walls and the Dust Bunny cabinets and trim. But we shall see. :)

I also went ahead and put Dust Bunny on the door casings for the living room and bathroom doorways, although I saw some very pretty, and very inexpensive, mouldings at Hudson's Dirt Cheap yesterday that would make exquisite door casings, and which I'll probably end up using before too long. Anyway, here are the pics of the two doorways with the Dust Bunny on them (if you can even see it in this light):

And as a final parting shot, I took a closeup of the overhang and wall cabinets:
 
So far, I'm lovin' it! Anyway, that's pretty much it until next missive!

No comments:

Post a Comment